I am: Kathy; 29; a twin; a fangirl of many things.
Likes: kpop, fashion, video games, anime/manga, art, history, more...
Currently obsessed with: WWE, Tiger & Bunny, Exo, Arashi, Chris Evans, Tom Hiddleston (and Loki by association), Thor & Avengers movies
hoo boy where do I even start
- ok so he had steve trapped in an alternate dimension for 12 years. this is basically the same amount of time he’s spent in the modern era, and therefore should have an ENORMOUS IMPACT on steve’s narrative and have repercussions throughout all 57 books that steve is appearing in. however, literally no one else has acknowledged this (because it is stupid) and it is a mess of a plot that will probably be retconned in a few years anyways.
- not only was steve trapped for 12 years, he RAISED A CHILD DURING THAT TIME. A CHILD WHO WAS THEN SHOT THROUGH THE NECK BY SHARON (STEVE’S FIANCEE AT THIS POINT) AND WHO HE THINKS IS DEAD. AND THEN SHARON SEEMINGLY DIES TO “SAVE STEVE.” THIS IS EXTREMELY LAZY WRITING
- if rick remender were a better writer, he could have had this story have emotional depth and impact without killing off what is basically steve’s entire family. he has said in interviews that the only reason sharon died is so steve could be even sadder. this is the definition of a fridging, the killing off of a female character for a male character’s story. it’s 2014. comics are still killing off female characters so men can Feel Emotions.
- I don’t care if he brings them both back. sharon has “died” in almost the exact same way before and RICK REMENDER IS A HACK WHO CAN’T WRITE
- also there is a new female character introduced whose super powers require her skin to be as exposed as possible, because her muscles…..absorb energy………or something? whatever, what it means is that the more naked she is, the more ~powerful~ she is. did I mention this character is under 18? this character is under 18. she is a minor created by a middle aged man, who has to be nearly naked in order to fight. ok. ok rick remender.
- oh oh did I mention!!! rick remender also retconned steve’s father into being an abusive alcoholic (previously he was just an alcoholic). this was so that remender can have steve “relate” to his father as he tries to raise a son in a desolate wasteland. his abusive father. because the only way to make a story about steve tackling the difficulties of fatherhood is to give him daddy issues and have him SYMPATHIZE WITH HIS ABUSIVE FATHER JESUS CHRIST REMENDER
- ok this is around where I stopped reading because even train wrecks get boring after a while. but the last thing is that upon steve’s return to the modern era, it is revealed that not only is his apartment full of captain america stuff, he also collects nazi propaganda and memorabilia. this is rick remender’s way of saying steve is stuck in the past??? that he cannot let go of his history???? despite the fact that he’s been in the modern era for at least 10 years and has very clearly moved on and would never cOLLECT NAZI SHIT COME ON REMENDER. and then remender shows steve ~severing his ties to the past~ by having him SET IT ALL ON FIRE.
- also this entire arc is called captain america: man further out of time which is both hilarious and sad and rick remender what the fuck are you doing